Browsing category Chronology

1900, December 10

Birth of Jose Garvida Flores, prolific poet in Iloco, in Bangui. (Eventually, he became the editor-in-chief of Pangadang, an Iloco newspaper published together with Senator Santiago Fonacier. His patriotic poem “Filipinas” is sung during the yearly celebration of Independence Day, and during ceremonies of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente. After a lingering illness, he died in

1900, July

Renewed guerilla activities by the Tinio Brigade in Badoc and Paoay and Aglipay’s forces in Batac move Captain Evans to recommend to his superiors “that all male inhabitants of the barrios of Batac, Badoc and Paoay be declared as War Rebels.” [Ochosa]

1900, April 25

General Gregorio Aglipay’s forces clash with Captain Dodd of the 3rd Cavalry again in Mabaleng, Batac. An advance guard of women provides the first line of defense, behind them are the bolomen and then the riflemen. In retaliation, the Americans burn the town of Batac; many are killed and few houses are saved. The Americans

1900, April 17

Americans establish a detachment in the old convento of Laoag. Don Jose Ver, mayor of Sarrat, leads about 200 or 500 of his townmates in an attack against the Americans in Laoag, under the rallying cry of “Rit-ritemon cayong!” (Rip the fence apart!). (Planned by Aglipay, the raid should have been a simultaneous attack from

1899, December 13

A guerilla force led by Capt. Francisco Celedonio raids an American detachment in Tumetedted, Badoc; Celedonio continues guerilla harassment from his lair in Uguis, Nueva Era. Major Edgar Steever and his cavalry, in hot pursuit of Celedonio, burns whatever he believes are barracks in the area. (Celedonio was a Tagalog, as in fact were the

1899, December

As the Americans move north in their takeover of Ilocos (Vigan succumbs on November 27), General Manuel Tinio and his men evade the enemy through Banna and then Solsona. [Ochosa]