2012, October 02
9 dead in Sarrat road mishap
Sarrat, Ilocos Norte. Seven passengers mostly students including the driver and conductor of a passenger jeep died in a vehicular accident along the national highway of Brgy. Pariir, Sarrat, Ilocos Norte at about 7am Tuesday.
The passenger jeep servicing Solsona-Laoag route driven by Ferdinand Dela Cruz collided with a ten-wheeler truck, said police investigators.
While three passengers were killed on the spot, the driver including five other passengers succumbed to their head injuries while being shifted at the provincial hospital. Two others are still under critical condition.
The mishap occurred when the jeepney driver rammed into the ten-wheeler truck while reportedly overtaking another vehicle, police said.
The following passengers died in the said vehicular accident;
1. Ludwig dela Cruz from Brgy Agitap, Solsona and driver of the passenger jeepney was pronounced dead on arrival (DOA) at Ablan Hospital;
2. Glister Romero, jeepney conductor from Brgy Albano, Dingras, DOA at Governor Roque Ablan Sr. Memorial Hospital (GRASMH);
3. Angelica P. Cruz, 14 years old and third year high school student from Parang, Sarrat- DOA at Dingras District Hospital;
4. Mikee Winnie Agbayani from Suyo, Dingras- dead on the spot;
5. Jessica DC Durupan, 13 years old from Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat- dead on the spot;
6. Rylee Agustin Canonizado from Brgy Suyo, died while undergoing medical treatment at GRASMH;
7. Jeremy B Burgos, 11 years old, first year high school student of Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat- dead on the spot;
8. Evelyn Canonizado, from Brgy Suyo, Dingras- dead on the spot;
9. One (1) unidentified male – dead on arrival at Dingras District Hospital;
10. Angelica Malilay from Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat died in Mariano Marcos Memorial Hospital (MMMH) in Batac;
11. Jane Ashley S. Pumaras, 15 years old, 4th year high school of Santa Rosa National High School; and
12. Steve Bueno, from Parang, Sarrat- died while undergoing medical treatment.
PCSupt Bucayu said, one passenger identified as Joshua Bolibol, 12 years old from Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat is the sole survivor who is undergoing medical treatment at GRASMH.
The Regional Director ordered the Ilocos Norte Police to conduct an in-depth investigation on the fatal accident to give justice to the bereaved family of the victims.